In my last blog we looked at the focus Jesus had in Hard Times, when He was facing rejection, injustice and unimaginable suffering.. .
Hebrews 12:2 tells us :
” … for the joy that was set before Him, He endured the cross, despising the shame …”
But that JOY must have been based on some very solid truths …
1. Jesus knew that God was SOVEREIGN
- God, His Father, was totally in control of EVERYTHING that was happening and would happen.
- God knew the beginning from the end, and had planned and purposed this, ‘from the beginning’
- The Pharisees, Pontius Pilate, the Romans, the people – Yes they had free will, BUT God was ultimately Sovereign and IN CONTROL.
All that would happen would be according to God’s Will, nothing more, nothing less.
2. Jesus knew that God was GOOD
- He was not being cruel or vindictive, a hard task-master, an impossible god to appease
- God is GOOD, and in His Divine purposes, EVERYTHING that was happening was going to be used and purposed for GOOD
- That every purpose and plan in God’s heart was motivated by His LOVE and GOODNESS.
3. Jesus knew that God would use EVERYTHING together for Good
- There would be no random acts of evil and cruelty that God would not use – the crown of cruel thorns, the purple robe, the beating, the casting lots for His clothing, the sword wound to His side instead of breaking His bones…
- That everything, EVERY act of evil and pain, would be used to accomplish God’s plan for Good
- There was a purpose and specific plan in everything that was allowed to happen, that His loving Father would use for Good, for Glory.
I think that’s how…
“ on the night He was betrayed, He took bread, 24 and when he had GIVEN THANKS, he broke it and said,
“This is my body, which is for you … “ 1 Corinthians 11:23-29
Jesus GAVE THANKS, not just for the bread, but for His Body which was about to be given, broken cruelly, for us.
How could He GIVE THANKS??? He knew these solid truths.
I am learning to believe and trust these truths too:
1. That God is SOVEREIGN
- God, my Father, is totally in control of EVERYTHING that is happening and will happen.
- God knows the beginning from the end, and has planned and purposed this, ‘from the beginning’
- The people – Yes they have free will, BUT God is ultimately Sovereign and IN CONTROL.
All that will happen to me will be according to God’s Will – nothing more – nothing less!
2. That God is GOOD
- He is not a cruel, vindictive, a hard task-master, an impossible god to appease
- But He is ONLY, ALWAYS GOOD!
- His Divine purposes in EVERYTHING that is happening is going to be used and purposed for GOOD, not for harm or meaningless suffering.
- That every purpose and plan in God’s heart for me is motivated by His LOVE and GOODNESS.
3. That God will use EVERYTHING together for Good
For we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who[a] have been called according to his purpose. (Romans 8:28)
- There will be no random acts of evil and cruelty that God will not use
- That everything, EVERY act of evil, pain or discomfit will be used to accomplish God’s plan for Good
- There is a purpose and a specific plan in everything that is allowed to happen to me, that my loving Father will use for Good, for Glory.
In my last blog I shared Jean –Pierre de Caussade quote. The part that struck me the most was this …
“Nothing happens to you except by the will of God, and yet God’s beloved children curse it
because they do not know it for what it is”
And so, I believe, this is How and WHY we can
Give THANKS in ALL circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. (1 Thessalonians 5:18:)
When it’s so HARD to give thanks …
- Thanksgiving is a reaffirming these solid truths that I choose to stand on: – His is Sovereign, He is only Good, and He will work and use ALL things together for Good.
- Thanks giving is a declaration of my Trust in my Loving Father
- It is a declaration of my Yieldedness to His will
- It is keeping my focus on the truth that
- … our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. (2 Corinthians 4:17)
Are you in a hard or painful place? Or in any situation where things are not going the way you would want them to be?
Can you join me in giving thanks FOR this circumstance and IN this circumstance
– because you know that our Loving, Sovereign, Good Father is using them, and working them all, together for good?
Abundant Blessings – and Thanks – Always!
5 Lies Not to Believe About 2020
“I feel like I have no control!”
When It’s HARD to Give Thanks – Part 3
When its HARD to give Thanks– Part 2
When its HARD to give Thanks